Looking to add more fibre in your diet? A diet rich in dietary fibre will keep your digestive tract clean and healthy, in addition to reducing risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Fibre, an essential food component
Fibre is a significant component of your diet, as it helps move the food you eat relatively easily through the digestive tracts, helping your digestive system function efficiently.
A diet that is rich in fibre is also known to reduce the risk of health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
Fibre content in different foods
|FRUITS||QUANTITY||TOTAL FIBRE IN GRAMS|
|Apple, with skin||1 medium||4.4|
|Strawberries||1 1/4 cup||3.8|
|Figs, dried||2 medium||1.6|
|GRAINS and CEREAL||QUANTITY||TOTAL FIBRE IN GRAMS|
|Chapathi||1 medium sized||2.0|
|Oatmeal, quick, regular or instant, cooked||1 cup||4.0|
|Popcorn, air-popped||3 cups||3.5|
|Brown rice, cooked||1 cup||3.5|
|Bread, whole-wheat or multigrain||1 slice||1.9|
|Barley, cooked||1 cup||6.0|
|Peas, cooked||1 cup||8.8|
|Broccoli, boiled||1 cup||5.1|
|Boiled beans||1/3 cup||1.0|
|Brussels sprouts, cooked||1 cup||4.1|
|Potato, with skin||1 medium||2.9|
|Carrot, raw||1 medium||1.7|
|Carrots, boiled||1/3 cup||2.0|
|Cabbage, raw||½ cup||1.5|
|Cabbage, cooked||2/3 cup||3.0|
|Cauliflower, cooked||1 cup||3.2|
|LEGUMES, NUTS and SEEDS||QUANITY||TOTAL FIBRE IN GRAMS|
|Lentils, cooked||1 cup||15.6|
|Sunflower seed kernels||1/4 cup||3.9|
|Almonds||1 ounce (23 nuts)||3.5|
|Pistachio nuts||1 ounce (49 nuts)||2.9|
Tips to increase your fibre intake
- Supplement your chapathi dough with finely ground oat meal or soy flour. This increases the fibre content in your rotis.
- Choose unpolished rice over the white rice you eat now. Unpolished rice has more nutrients and higher fibre content in comparison to polished, white rice.
- Use whole-grain breads and cereals for breakfast.
- A glass of fruit juice is void of fibre, so choose whole fruits to derive greater nutritional benefits.
- If possible, eat your veggies with skin, for example carrots, potatoes and radish have a lot of fibre in their skins.
- Eat dried fruits and nuts as snacks in between meals.
Photograph via sxc.hu
You may also like: